One Woman's Search for Not A Gotdamn Thing Across All the Countries She's Able to Take Her Broke Ass

1.02.2010

Yogyakarta, Java (Day 14, Sunday, 080909)

| |

8:30 wake-up, and David suggests I eat immediately so that I can be hungry in time for when Eric becomes famished for lunch. Somehow, this makes sense.

We head over to J.CO again for donuts, this time: with rice krispies, with a chocolate-hazelnut sauce, and one called Copa Banana.

Then, we're off again to the stupid Sultan Palace (why?), and the stupid Water Palace (also very stupid).

This is the only photo I take at the Water Palace--which lacking any H2O that might have suggested the name, betrayed my anticipatory dream of some paradisical, Kubla Khanian, pleasure-domed, water park. Complete with wave pool.

Instead, this:



(NO WATER HERE. Where's the wave pool?)


Maybe they was closed for the season?

***

The highlight of the day's arduous tramp is the following:



Wee, luridly-colored chicks in a crate!

I cave to a becak ride, because all we've been doing is schlepping, though I manage to get in some good self-hate and contrition for the fact that we'll be paying the dude 'bout a dollar or two for peddling around in the blazing heat for 10 minutes or so. Why walk, when you can take a pedi-cab and sit with your pangs of conscience? Eric calls this my White Man's Guilt, but I prefer to think of it as First World Guilt, as I am neither white nor a man.



Wee, back-breaking labor for the masses!

The two becak peddlers (?) take us to Via Via (again), whereupon I have a mango lassi, pork chops with broccoli cream (minus the cream?), fries, and...



Wee, non-Indonesian food!

Soda gembira, a drink I "discover" (like Columbus did America) at the cafe:



(Ingredients: rose syrup (?), condensed milk, soda water or other effervescent beverage)

A convenience store on our hotel street has baskets filled with dodol, an Indonesian candy featured on No Reservations, but not to any...uh...fanfare. I figure I'll give it a chew, so I shuffle into the store and attempt to buy a single piece of candy.

The ladies, they don't let me pay for the one piece of dodol, a sticky, caramel-y sweet that tastes pretty innocuous:



Wee, innocuous!

0 comments:

Post a Comment