One Woman's Search for Not A Gotdamn Thing Across All the Countries She's Able to Take Her Broke Ass

1.02.2010

Yogyakarta, Java (Day 13 Super-cont'd, Saturday, 080809)

| |

Despite all my principled stands about participating in local food culture, I've had enough. And lunch, when I wake, is the following American institution:



There goes my gastronomic integrity, feeble as it already is.

It is a'ight. Crust is same, but the sauce and toppings are not quite as flavorful. The drink, a mixture of lychee, orange juice, and soda water, however, is a delight.


Not what I ordered. Fish and chips (literal chips!) on pizza.


And dessert?



My excuse for this monstrosity is that Eric's been jizzing all over the place about how delectable the cheeseburger is--he had it while I was napping.


I'm notified that "no photos" are allowed in Mickey D's, but manage to take this blurry shot of a heinous "Salsa Gourmet Wrap," which goes to show, there's no accounting for taste:



The day, at this point, is oppressively hot, so I go seeking internet while the boys change some money. Then, nap time in our room until we're interrupted by a mid-day snack: fried dumplings with indeterminate meat and vegetable filling.

We decide to make the most of our time in this far-flung land by going to see G.I. Joe at the local cineplex. This is my first movie in a foreign country, and thus, is actually relatively exciting. There is assigned seating and massive, feels-like-first-class seats, and I wonder why we don't do thangs this way in the States. There are no previews, and, per usual, I laugh at inopportune moments.

Fun times.

Dinner's at the Via Via Cafe, where I consume something dubiously identified as "Indonesian fish," and a Diet Coke.

Noordin Top, the terrorist who masterminded the Marriot and Ritz-Carlton bombings this past July, has allegedly been killed in a raid somewhere in central Java, where we are, today. This is later proved false.

0 comments:

Post a Comment