We crash after our excursion, then wake again for dinner. The destination is Bladok, a losmen and a restaurant, where I finally order the ubiquitous Indonesian dish of nasi goreng, fried rice, and watermelon juice. Eric has an awesome lamb—spicy, tender chunks—and David a tuna salad and vegetable curry (he’s one of those doesn’t-eat-meat-wheat-gluten-cheese-milk-citrus-everything-delicious folks).
The nasi goreng is meh, and I pick at it through the omelette-wrapping, and yearn for Eric's lamb. [grin] But instead of simply ordering the lamb, I order a...side of fries.
Because I'm self-defeating and a masochist. I think also because Eric says I might have some sort of stomach virus--presumably, an Indonesian-food-hating stomach virus.
After dinner, we return to the mall, so the boys can cruise. I'm not interested in local tail and am more fascinated by the difference between American malls and Asian ones. Here, everything's cluttered together, a cacophony of eye-straining colors, in contrast with the comparatively subdued gleam of U.S. shopping centers. I think it has something to do with the intersection of Third World economies and aesthetics, but am too bowled over by the sights to give it further rumination.
I insist that the boys sample the frozen yogurt--see "Pinkberry," "Red Mango," "Yogurtland"--because they've never had the tart "yogurt" flavor--before we return to the Peti Mas. Then, on the way back, David purchases some halal snacks, bakpia pathok, a flaky pastry stuffed with a variety of fillings, most traditionally with green bean (mung bean), and here, with chocolate and some cheesy...substance.
We decide to make an early night of it; tomorrow, we're headed to Borobudur, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and we gotta be up at 4:30.
This is what America looks like to other people:
1.02.2010
Yogyakarta, Java (Day 12 Cont'd, Friday, 080709)
Posted by
Ms. Lizzle
|
|
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
There is White Castle in Chicago. And I forgots to eats it. Boo.
-
Going into high gear for Jamaica, which means accessing my Google Doc list and checking it twice. General version can be found here . You...
-
Colombia = Thanksgiving Break Taiwan = 3 weeks of Winter Break New Orleans = Spring Break SE Asia and Maui = Summer Vacay I've also been...
-
Came across this article in the NYTimes yesterday eve': In California, Going All Out to Bid Adieu to Foie Gras Eight years ago, the Gove...
-
I have to say, the preponderance of food items is vastly improved by the addition of cream cheese. Like so: + sugar + graham cracker = delic...
Blogroll
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(41)
-
▼
January
(12)
- Surabaya (Day 18, Thursday, 081309)
- Surabaya (Day 17 Cont'd, Wednesday, 081209)
- Surabaya (Day 17, Wednesday, 081209)
- Surabaya (Day 16, Tuesday, 081109)
- Surabaya (Day 15 Cont'd, Monday, 081009)
- Yogyakarta to Surabaya (Day 15, Monday, 081009)
- Yogyakarta, Java (Day 14 Cont'd, Sunday, 080909)
- Yogyakarta, Java (Day 14, Sunday, 080909)
- Yogyakarta, Java (Day 13 Super-cont'd, Saturday, 0...
- Yogyakarta, Java (Day 13 Cont'd, Saturday, 080809)
- Yogyakarta, Java (Day 13, Saturday, 080809)
- Yogyakarta, Java (Day 12 Cont'd, Friday, 080709)
-
▼
January
(12)
Powered by Blogger.
0 comments:
Post a Comment