One Woman's Search for Not A Gotdamn Thing Across All the Countries She's Able to Take Her Broke Ass

12.25.2011

Zenkichi, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY = Waste of Stomach Space

| |

This is one of those times where you don't (or do) listen to the Yelp. Basically, 4 stars from the great, unwashed hoi polloi or a few lone Cassandras speaking truth to power: "Zenkichi is border line garbage food served in baby bowls."

I know. Them's some mixed metaphors and etc.

Laura made 'vations for Saturday, despite
my reservations, because she had a $50 gift certificate to the place (expiration: 12/24).

So it is, and so it shall be, world without end: money over bitches.

The place feels appropriately Japanese-y--or what someone who has never been to Japan (comme moi) thinks of as Japanese-y. Some sticks of bamboo in the entrance way (welcome to the Orient! We are Siamese, if you please!), dark wood and mirrors, and the whole trope of the place: little booths individually curtained off with bamboo shades.

Basically, it looked like this:



Anyhoo, the decision was made to order two
omakeses and some a la carte dishes. And, it was terrible (the food, not the decision). But one of those terribles that slowly encroaches upon your consciousness, as you withhold your judgment from course to course, thinking, "that wasn't that bad--surely it'll get better," but then it doesn't.


Miso soup, cabbage, daikon. Whatevs.


Maguro Carpaccio (tuna sashimi)--green yuzu pepper sauce. Thanks for the micro-chives. Makes a girl go from ashy to classy.


Simmered duck, soft egg, baby greens, sweet duck dressing. This one was a'ight. Mostly spinach greens, au jus (had to ax my friend--"What's that word that sounds like 'jew' or 'jiu' for sauce?"), and a soft egg on the side to be stirred and mixed in.


Cold tofu, bonito flakes, green onions, ginger (I fink?), and some kind of dashi.


Chilled plate: scallops and daikon in sesame sake-malt sauce (foreground); hamachi sashimi; mess o' shrooms (top left); squid (top right).

The scallop, dear reader, it tasted...fishy. A thing that was in a shell that was in a plastic bin that bumped around city streets and began to marinate in that quiet desperation of city life, and hate itself.

I had been waiting for a flavor to come kick me in the teeth or make fireworks in my mouf or wrap me in a bear-skin rug.

And it's after the bite of scallop that I realized the true destiny of our dinner, and I wanted to be all Edith Piaf-y and singing in a smokey room in my attenuated voice that everyone would find so charming, except my song would be "Oui, Je
Regrette Tout
."

Next!


Mess o' skrimps and edamame and tomato (top right).


"Meaty oysters grilled on the shell with red-miso sauce. Salty & sweet." Yes, salty and sweet completely obfuscating the taste of the oyster.


"Oyster, uni sea urchin, shrimp, Japanese mushrooms:
 oven-grilled in béchamel sauce." I think there was uni in here in the sense that they probably said, "haha, there is no uni in here" as they were plating the dish. This also was a'ight--mostly in the sense that it reveled in its mediocrity and was just like, seafood + butter = yum. I'd eat this shit again. If it were free.


"Zenkichi Salad
: homemade tofu, baby greens, sesame dressing." [stone cold stare] Zenkichi Salad, I'm mad-doggin' you.


Shirako & Shungiku Tempura: 
creamy cod milt & green chrysanthemum leaves (Kakiage-style, which just means chopped up and fried like fritters--yeah, Professor Google). I dunno where the milt is. But I went to the bathroom and got lost coming back, so maybe my dining companions et it all. The fuckers. (Edit: axed the bitches about the cod milt and they said they did not notice any creamy, white shit. Lies, all lies.)


Saikyo Miso Cod: 
grilled black cod in Kyoto miso marinade. I don't know why that piece closer to the camera is spinning like that. It makes me dizzy. Stop looking at it, edb. We dug into it before I had a chance to iPhotograph it (we're buzzed and we just want to eat something delicious and we were hoping this would be it)--iPhresh-ish and essentially iPhlavorless.


Salmon simmered in a clear broth with some kind of peppercorn (?) and 4 slices of snow peas. At this point, we are just shrugging at each other defeatedly. I'm looking at Laura and experiencing a case of I Tol' You Sos--hearkening back to her exact words: "4 stars out of 355 reviews! how is that not good?"

[Laura, I am retroactively mad-doggin' you.]


"Berkshire Pork Belly Donburi: pork belly sauteed with ginger soy sauce, served over rice." Joey and I ate most of this, because 1) he's a dude and 2) I have a hard time leaving food on the table, even if if it I'm full and even if it's just a'ight.

And the two orders of dessert:


Frozen Black Sesame Mousse--basically, black sesame ice cream. What did Mammy say? You ain't nothin' but a mule tricked out in a horse harness? I see you, "mousse."


Mineoka Tofu: milk tofu made with heavy cream and kudzu starch, strawberries, and some triflin' azuki red beans. A not very good blancmange. Here, I quit while I was ahead (behind?), because I didn't want to ingest any more not-very-delicious-calories.

You know, I can do simple. I don't need everything to be fried or drowning in butter. But if it's simple, if we're going for ascetic, which I think they are--sometimes--I want the ingredients to speak for themselves, to be so fresh they make you wanna slap somebody, to come together in clear, ringing tones. And they didn't. Two words:

Hot. Mess.

All hope abandon ye who enter here. Zenkichi, you have brought shame on
omakase.

Zenkichi,

0 comments:

Post a Comment